|Fall 2015||ESS||431||4||21||25||Waddington, Conway, Koutnik, Hallet, Light, Roe|
|Winter 2016||ATM S||510||3||1 (+1 audit)||50||Warren|
UW Class Seminars and Lectures
|11/10/2015||ESS||594||JHN022||Glaciology in ESS|
Professional Talks and Presentations
|Dec 2015||American Geophysical Union||Fall Meeting||C||Talk||External forcing modulates Pine Island Glacier Flow|
|Sep 2015||West Antarctic Ice Sheet Initiative||Annual Workshop||I||Talk||External forcing modulates Pine Island Glacier flow|
|Aug 2015||International Glaciological Society||Symposium on Contemporary Ice Sheet Dynamics||C||Talk||External forcing modulates Pine Island Glacier flow|
|Apr 2015||New England Glaciology Group||New England Glaciology Meeting||C||Talk||Pine Island Glacier response to external forcing|
|Dec 2014||American Geophysical Union||Fall Meeting||C||Talk||Interpretation or radar basal reflectivity in ice-sheet grounding zones|
|Sep 2014||West Antarctic Ice Sheet Initiative||Annual Workshop||I||Talk||Inference of grounding-zone water properties from radar basal reflectivity|
|May 2014||International Glaciological Society||Symposium on the Contribution of Glaciers and Ice Sheets to Sea-Level Rise||C||Talk||The role of grounding-zone process in sea-level rise|
|Apr 2014||European Geosciences Union||Annual General Assembly||C||Talk||Ice-sheet (de)stabilization via grounding-zone processes|
|Apr 2014||Caltech||Environmental Science and Engineering Seminar||I||Talk||Is there a need for an ice-sheet/ocean observation system?|
|Dec 2013||American Geophysical Union||Fall Meeting||I||Talk||Ice-sheet (de)stabilization via grounding-zone processes|
|Dec 2013||American Geophysical Union||Fall Meeting||C||Poster||In-situ creation of internal layer folds in radio-echo sounding data of ice sheets from variable basal conditions|
|Oct 2013||West Antarctic Ice Sheet Initiative||Annual Workshop||C||Talk||Subglacial water and sediment transport across the grounding zone of Whillans Ice Stream, West Antarctica|
|Sep 2013||International Glaciological Society||Radioglaciology Symposium||C||Talk||Radar/seismic imaging of a subglacial estuary at the grounding zone of Whillans Ice Stream|
|Aug 2013||Climate and Cryosphere; Norwegian Polar Institute||Ice Rises Workshop||C||Poster||Subglacial Water and Sediment Transport across the Grounding Zone of Whillans Ice Stream, West Antarctica|
|May 2013||Center for Ice and Climate, University of Copenhagen||Radio-echo sounding layer tracing workshop||I||Talk||Using active-source seismology to constrain radar derived basal conditions|
|April 2013||European Geosciences Union||Annual General Assembly||C||Talk||Self-stabilizing ice-stream flow in northeast Greenland|
|April 2013||European Geosciences Union||Annual General Assembly||C||Poster||Subglacial Water and Sediment Transport across the Grounding Zone of Whillans Ice Stream|
|2013-2015||Various: EGU, AGU, IGS, CliC, NEGM, WAIS||Conferences||C||Talks/Posters||Co-author on 27 presentations by colleagues and students|
Public and Community Service
Type of Service
|ongoing||American Geophysical Union||member/session convener|
|ongoing||European Geosciences Union||member|
|ongoing||International Glaciological Society||member|
|ongoing||NSF Polar Geospatial Center Science and Operations Committee||member|
|ongoing||NSF/NASA West Antarctic Science Team||member|
|ongoing||East Greenland Ice Core Project Scientific Steering Committee||member|
|Mar 2016||Royal Society Workshop on "West Antarctica and future sea-level rise"||participant|
|Jan 2016||West Antarctic Science Team Implementation and Science Plan meeting||participant|
|Dec 2015||American Geophysical Union Fall Meeting||session chair, Advances in Our Understanding of Processes at the Beds of Ice Sheets and Glaciers, C11A and C14B|
|May 2014||Center for Sea-Level Change 3rd Annual Workshop, New York University Abu Dhabi||participant|
|Sep and Dec 2014||Keck Institute for Space Studies Workshop, The Sleeping Giant: Measuring Ocean-Ice Interactions in Antarctica||participant|
Recent Publications and Manuscripts in the Press19 peer-reviewed manuscripts in the past 3 years.
*indicates student co-author.
1. Marsh, O., H. A. Fricker, M. R. Siegfried*, K. Christianson, K. W. Nicholls, H. F. J. Corr, and G. Catania, 2016. High basal melt rates initiate a channel at the grounding line of the Ross Ice Shelf, Antarctica, Geophysical Research Letters, 42, 250–255, doi: 10.1002/2015GL066612. (Peer-reviewed).
2. Alley, R. B., S. Anandakrishnan, K. Christianson, H. J. Horgan, A. Muto, B. R. Parizek, D. Pollard, and R. T. Walker, 2015. Oceanic forcing of ice-sheet retreat: West Antarctica and more,
Annual Reviews of Earth and Planetary Sciences, 43, 207–231, doi: 10.1146/annurev-earth- 060614-105344. (Peer-reviewed).
3. Christianson, K., J. Kohler, R. B. Alley, C. Nuth, and W. J. J. van Pelt, 2015. Dynamic perennial firn aquifer on an Arctic glacier, Geophysical Research Letters, 42, 1618–1625, doi: 10.1002/2014GL062806. (Peer-reviewed).
4. Voytenko, D.*, A. Stern, D. M. Holland, T. H. Dixon, K. Christianson, and R. T. Walker, 2015. Observing tidally-driven ice speed variation at Helheim Glacier, Greenland using Terrestrial Radar Interferometry, Journal of Glaciology, 61(226), 301–308, doi: 10.3189/2015JoG14J173. (Peer-reviewed).
5. Christianson, K., L. E. Peters, R. B. Alley, R. W. Jacobel, S. Anandakrishnan, K. L. Riverman*, A. Muto, and B. A. Keisling*, 2014. Dilatant till facilitates ice-stream flow in northeast Greenland, Earth and Planetary Science Letters, 401, 57–69,
doi: 10.1016/j.epsl.2014.05.060. (Peer-reviewed).
6. Christner, B. C., J. C. Priscu, A. M. Achberger*, C. Barbante, S. P. Carter, K. Christianson, J. A. Mikucki, A. B. Michaud*, A. Mitchell, M. L. Skidmore, T. J. Vick-Majors*, and the WISSARD Science Team, 2014. Subglacial Lake Whillans: A microbial system beneath the West Antarctic Ice Sheet, Nature, 512, 310–313 , doi: 10.1038/nature13667. (Peer-reviewed).
7. Fudge, T. J., H. Conway, G. Catania, D. D. Blankenship, K. Christianson, I. Joughin, B. Smith, S. Kempf, D. Young, and S. Anandakrishnan, 2014. Identifying flowlines and limitations of flux analyses in the interior of Thwaites Glacier, Antarctica, Annals of Glaciology, 55(67), 107–114, doi: 10.3189/2014AoG67A033. (Peer-reviewed).
8. Holshuh, N.*, K. Christianson, and S. Anandakrishnan, 2014. Power loss in dipping internal layers imaged through radio-echo sounding, Annals of Glaciology, 55(67), 49–56, doi: 10.3189/2014AoG67A005. (Peer-reviewed).
9. Jacobel, R. W., K. Christianson, A. C. Wood*, K. J. DallaSanta*, and R. M. Gobel*, 2014. Morphology of basal crevasses at the grounding zone of Whillans Ice Stream, West Antarctica, Annals of Glaciology, 55(67), 57–63, doi: 10.3189/2014AoG67A004.(Peer-reviewed).
10. Keisling, B. A.*, K. Christianson, R. B. Alley, L. E. Peters. J. E. M. Christian*, S. Anandakrishnan, K. L. Riverman*, A. Muto, S. Anandakrishnan, and R. W. Jacobel, 2014. Basal conditions and ice dynamics inferred from interred from radar-derived internal stratigraphy of the Northeast Greenland Ice Stream, Annals of Glaciology, 55(67), 127–137, doi: 10.3189/2014AoG67A090. (Peer-reviewed).
11. Vallelonga, P., K. Christianson, R. B. Alley, S. Anandakrishnan, J. E. M. Christian*, D. Dahl Jensen, V. Gkinis, C. Holme, R. W. Jacobel, N. Karlsson, B. A. Keisling*, S. Kipfstuhl, H. A. Kjær, M. E. L. Kristensen, A. Muto, L. E. Peters, T. Popp, K. L. Riverman*, A. M Svensson, C. Tibuleac, B. M. Vinther, Y. Weng, and M. Winstrup, 2014. Initial results from geophysical surveys and shallow coring of the Northeast Greenland Ice Stream (NEGIS), The Cryosphere, 8, 1275–1287, doi: 10.5194/tc-8-1275-2014. (Peer-reviewed).
12. Christianson, K., B. R. Parizek, R. B. Alley, H. J. Horgan, R. W. Jacobel, S. Anandakrishnan, B. A. Keisling*, B. D. Craig*, and A. Muto, 2013. Ice sheet grounding zone stabilization due to till compaction, Geophysical Research Letters, 40, 5406–5411, doi: 10.1002/2013GL057447. (Peer-reviewed).
13. Horgan, H. J., R. B. Alley, K. Christianson, R. W. Jacobel, S. Anandakrishnan, A. Muto, L. H. Beem*, and M. R. Siegfried*, 2013. Estuaries beneath ice sheets, Geology, 41(11), 1159–1162, doi: 10.1130/G34654.1. (Peer-reviewed).
14. Horgan, H. J., K. Christianson, R. W. Jacobel, S. Anandakrishnan, and R. B. Alley, 2013. Sediment deposition at the modern grounding zone of Whillans Ice Stream, West Antarctica, Geophysical Research Letters, 40, 3934–3939, doi: 10.1002/grl.50712. (Peer-reviewed).
15. Moore, P. L., J. P. Winberry, N. R. Iverson, K. A. Christianson, S. Anandakrishnan, M. Jackson, M. E. Mathison, and D. Cohen, 2013. Glacier slip and seismicity induced by surface melt, Geology, 41(12), 1247–1250, doi: 10.1130/G34760.1. (Peer-reviewed).
16. Muto, A., K. Christianson, H. J. Horgan, S. Anandakrishnan, and R. B. Alley, 2013. Bathymetry and geological structures beneath the Ross Ice Shelf at the mouth of Whillans Ice Stream, West Antarctica, modeled from ground-based gravity measurements, Journal of Geophysical Research, 118, 4535–4546, doi: 10.1002/jgrf.50315. (Peer-reviewed).
17. Parizek, B. R., K. Christianson, S. Anandakrishnan, R. B. Alley, R. T. Walker, R. A. Edwards*, D. S. Wolfe*, G. T. Bertini*, S. K. Reinhart*, R. A. Bindschadler, and S. M. J. Nowicki, 2013. Dynamic (in)stability of Thwaites Glacier, West Antarctica, Journal of Geophysical Research, 118, 638–655, doi: 10.1002/jgrf.20044. (Peer-reviewed).
18. Walker, R. T., B. R. Parizek, R. B. Alley, S. Anandakrishnan, K. L. Riverman*, and K. Christianson, 2013. Ice-shelf tidal flexure and subglacial pressure variations, Earth and Planetary Science Letters, 361, 422–428, doi: 10.1016/j.epsl.2012.11.008. (Peer-reviewed).
19. Zoet, L. K.*, R. B. Alley, S. Anandakrishnan, and K. Christianson*, 2013. Accelerated subglacial erosion in response to basal seismicity, Geology, 41(2), 159–162, doi: 10.1130/G33624.1. (Peer-reviewed).
Current Research InterestsGlaciology: ice–ocean interactions, ice-sheet grounding zone processes, englacial and subglacial hydrology, glacier seismicity, englacial temperature structure, calving processes
Geophysics: ground-penetrating radar, active-source seismology, terrestrial radar interferometry, kinematic GPS
Current C.V. URLhttp://www.ess.washington.edu/ess/people/cv/Christianson_Knut_CV.pdf
In the NewsOur recent work on glacier perennial firn aquifers (published in Geophysical Research Letters) has been featured in a few news articles between March and October 2015:
The GRL publication is here: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/2014GL062806/abstract
The Whillans Ice Stream Subglacial Access Research Drilling project directly instrumented a subglacial lake and ice-stream grounding zone and has garnered widespread media attention. We provided the site survey information to allow subglacial access drilling and conducted glaciological and geophysical studies at both drill sites. See http://www.wissard.org/news for a comprehensive list of news articles.
CommentsWhillans Ice Stream Subglacial Access Research Drilling website: http://www.wissard.org/
University of Washington Future of Ice Initiative: http://ice.washington.edu/
University of Washington Polar Day: http://ice.washington.edu/2016/03/21/uw-polar-day/
West Antarctic Ice Sheet Initiative: https://www.waisworkshop.org/
Climate and Cryosphere: http://www.climate-cryosphere.org/