Print this page

How do I get in touch with Earth & Space Sciences advising?
Emailing is generally the most efficient way to get advising information. Undergraduate advising appointments can be scheduled online. Please note that students wishing to declare the ESS major must first fill out our major declaration survey.

Where can I get information about entering the University of Washington (UW)?
The UW Office of Admissions website provides comprehensive information about the application and enrollment process. Prospective transfer students are encouraged to attend one of the UW Admissions Office's Transfer Thursday info sessions and to complete supporting science & math coursework at their current institution prior to transferring to UW.

While the ESS department is not involved in undergraduate admission to the university, any prospective ESS majors (freshmen, transfer, international, or postbaccalaureate students) are encouraged to contact ESS Advising with questions about our department or major before applying.

Where is information on teaching endorsements in earth and space sciences?
The College of Education teaching endorsement information can be found on the COE website.

What is an open major?
Both the BA and the BS degrees in our department are "open majors." This means there are no entrance requirements or prerequisite classes for admission to the major. You may declare your major on your UW Admissions Application form, or at any time during the year as long as you are in good academic standing with the university.

Can I visit the UW campus prior to applying to UW?
Yes! If you're planning to visit the UW Seattle Campus, UW Admissions offers campus tours and residential life tours.If you'd like to visit an ESS class, please email the instructor ahead of time to obtain permission.

How many undergraduate students are in the department?
In Autumn 2020, there were 209 undergraduates in the Department of Earth & Space Sciences.