The culmination of each school year is the annual Graduation Ceremony. All graduating students are encouraged to participate in the departmental ceremony, held annually. The ceremony is traditionally held the morning of Commencement.
A live videostream of the event will be available at here during our Graduation Ceremony. Recorded streams and photographs can be found in the links below.
Past Graduation Ceremonies
Use the links below to see photos, videos, and programs from some of our past Graduation Ceremonies.
- Class of 2017 - Distinguished Speaker: Alison Till (Ph.D, UW, 1994), Emerita Research Geologist with the USGS in Anchorage
- Class of 2016 - Distinguished Speaker: Michelle Koutnik (Ph.D, UW, 2009), Assistant Professor, University of Washington
- Class of 2015 - Distinguished Speaker: Aaron Wech (Ph.D, UW, 2010), Mendenhall Postdoctoral Fellow, U.S. Geological Survey
- Class of 2014 - Distinguished Speaker: Erik Oswald (B.S., UW, 1985), Vice President of Business Development, ExxonMobil Exploration Company (Ph.D., SUNY at Stony Brook, 1992)
- Class of 2013 - Distinguished Speaker: Nadine A. Nereson (Ph.D., UW, 1998), General Manager, Philips Healthcare Ultrasound Research and Development
- Class of 2012 - Distinguished Speaker: A. Wesley Ward, Jr. (Ph.D., UW, 1978), Former Chief in the USGS Astrogeology Program and Chief Geologist for the Western U.S.
- Class of 2011 - Distinguished Speakers: Josef Dufek (Ph.D., UW, 2006), Assistant Professor, Georgia Institute of Technology and Carol Paty (Ph.D, UW, 2006), Assistant Professor, Georgia Institute of Technology
- Class of 2010 - Distinguished Speaker: Rob Thomas (Ph.D., UW, 1993), Professor, University of Montana Western
- Class of 2009 - Distinguished Speaker: Margaret Rusmore (Ph.D., UW, 1985), Professor, Occidental College
- Class of 2008 - Distinguished Speaker: Peter Lipman, Former Chief of the Branch of Volcanic and Geothermal Processes, U.S. Geological Survey’s (USGS), Current Emeritus Scientist at USGS (Ph.D., Stanford, 1962)
- Class of 2007 - Distinguished Speaker: Craig Weaver (Ph.D., UW, 1976), Former National Coordinator for the U.S. Geological Survey’s Earthquake Program, Pacific Northwest Coordinator for the U.S. Geological Survey’s Earthquake Hazards Program
- Class of 2006 - Distinguished Speaker: Lee Fairchild (Ph.D., UW, 1985), Former Petroleum Geologist for Exxon, Geological Consultant and Owner, Gorge Geotechnical, LLC