J. Michael Brown
Participating Faculty, UW Astrobiology Program
Fax: 206-543-0489 (shared)
Interests: Experimental and theoretical mineral physics
Research Groups: Astrobiology, Mineral Physics
Our existence is by permission of the deep Earth. Cycling of water, carbon, and all other life essential nutrients involves the actions of plate tectonics. Our atmosphere and oceans depend on physical and chemical processes that extend throughout Earth's mantle. Our planet is 12,742 km in diameter. The deepest bore hole penetrates a mere 0.1% of this distance (to 12 km). In my research group, we investigate the properties of earth materials under a wide range of pressures and temperatures in order to better understand the processes occurring in the other 99.9% of Earth where geologic field trips are not yet possible.
Brown, J. M., The equation of state for iron to 450 GPa: Another high pressure phase?, Geophys. Res. Lett , 28, 4339-42, 2001
Vance, S., and J. M. Brown, Layering and double-diffusion style convection in Europa’s ocean, Icarus, 177 (2), 506–514, 2005
Brown, J.M., Abramson, E.H., Ross, R.L., Triclinic Elastic Constants for Low Albite, Phys Chem Minerals, 33, 256-265, 2006.
Vance, S., J. Harnmeijer, J. Kimura, H. Hussmann and J.M. Brown, Hydrothermal Systems in Small Ocean Planets, Astrobiology, 7, 987-1005, 2007
Crowhurst, J.C., J.M. Brown, A. Goncharov, S. Jacobsen, Elasticity of (Mg,Fe)O through the spin transition of iron in the lower mantle, Science, 319, 451-453, 2008
Vance, S, and J.M. Brown, Thermodynamic properties of aqueous MgSO4 to 800 MPa at temperatures from 20 to 100 C and concentrations to 2.5 mol kg1 from sound speeds, with applications to icy world oceans. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta 110,176–189, 2013